On June 30th, the Location Managers Guild International (LMGI) presented a virtual town hall centered around racial equity, diversity and inclusion in the television, film and commercial production workplace, with a focus on location management. All entertainment industry professionals were invited to join the conversation at no cost.
The town hall aimed to educate, empower, and enlighten members of the entertainment community. The LMGI was joined by keynote speaker and renowned Clinical Psychologist, Dr. Cheryl Grills, Ph.D. an expert in globally facilitating healing circles surrounding people of African ancestry. Dr. Grills engaged the panelists in dialogue about implicit bias and systemic racism. Prior to the town hall, attendees anonymously submited workplace experiences, which were used to spotlight specific issues facing persons of color in the industry.
“We must break down the barriers established long ago in order to disrupt the status quo. To do that, we need to have brutally honest, open, and sometimes uncomfortable conversations,” states LMGI town hall committee chair, Miguel Tapia/LMGI. “Many are unaware of the impact of their actions and arguably more importantly, their inaction when it comes to instances of discrimination. This is an opportunity to create an environment where we can all listen, learn and begin to lead in a new, ground-breaking way.”
Moderated by Location Manager and LMGI Board Member Alison Taylor, the town hall panel consisted of international location professionals of color from the US and the UK with more than three-quarters of a century of experience between them.
To learn more, visit www.locationmanagers.org.
- Dr. Cheryl Grills, Ph.D. – Keynote Speaker (Clinical Psychologist, Professor Loyola Marymount University) – Los Angeles
- Kokayi Ampah/LMGI, Producer, Director, Location Manager (The Color Purple, The Shawshank Redemption, Million Dollar Baby, Who Are They) – Los Angeles
- Jon Johnson, Sr., Parking Coordinator (Sex and the City, The Avengers, Independence Day, Men In Black) – New York
- Jason McCauley/LMGI, Key Assistant Location Manager (Westworld, Cloverfield, I’m Dying Up Here) – Los Angeles
- Leon Henriques, Unit Manager, Location Manager (Man Like Mobeen, The Other One , Das Boot /Hulu, Deep Water) – United Kingdom
- Deb Evans, Producer, President and Founder or DAE Light Media (Afterlife of The Party, Games People Play, Season 2, Twenties- Season 1)
- Joyce Liu Countryman – Producer, DEI Practitioner, (Unusual Target, You’ve Got Junk Mail, Eat With Me)
- Moderator: Alison Taylor/LMGI, Location Manager (The Glorias, Insecure, A Wrinkle in Time, Straight Outta Compton) – Los Angeles